Tuesday, November 24, 2009

our huge library

We went to the public library this morning. It's downtown, about 5 minutes away from where we live. It's 4 stories of books, sections and literature. It's safe to say that the library is ginormous! I am not altogether impressed with the children's section of the huge library. There aren't any cool chairs or fun little toys or even a "reading area" for kids to look at books. It's very plain and simple. There are a couple tables which the kids can sit at and a couple puzzles with which to keep them entertained. But, still! The teeny-tiny library in my hometown, Lindsborg could kick this big city's children's section!
So, upon looking up the books I wanted to find for the kids to check out I wrote down the call numbers and began searching. And searching. I asked the kind librarian where a certain section was. She showed me. I said that I had looked for the book in the section she said it would be. It says on the online catalog that the book is here. Why can't I find it? The librarian proceeds to tell me that it may not be shelved yet and that it may be in the library but is lost. What? I said that was too bad. She agreed then went back to her desk.
Needless to say, I was a bit miffed and disappointed. I felt like getting mouthy. But, I didn't. Instead I found some other books. As the kids and I walked toward the back of the children's section I stumbled upon this:
Yep! Books upon books, carts upon carts of un-shelved children's books. I was appaled! Why weren't they shelving these books??? Even a cart a day would be better than nothing at all! This is how I probably looked upon finding all those books just yearning to be read!


So, I went ahead and asked for the books I was looking for to be held. I think we may be going to a different library from now on!

4 comments:

LivG said...

WEIRD!!! And annoying! "Why were they not shelving them" is a good question!

I thought most librarians were pretty protective of their books and would never want to LOSE them!!!

McPherson could kick that children's section's butt too!

Laurie said...

Grrr. I don't get it really. It's rather weird AND sad.
Anyway, it may be my computer problem, but the pictures did not show up. :(

Your Mama said...

Okay. The photos loaded this time. Whoa!!!! That is almost unbelievable! Maybe they need some library workers! Are they in a transition or is this normal?

Seeing Through New Eyes said...

I have always felt blessed at the library in Salina. throughout my career in homeschooling they were always so helpful - and still are as I pursue little adventures. They always want to the know the patrons' opinions and will even order books if you show a desire or need. If they can't order, they will borrow from other libraries. Our children's section is FUN = okay, I haven't been there in a few years, but I think it probably hasn't changed. A good library can be such a BLESSING!