Tuesday, January 12, 2010

the draw of the ocean

When we go to the beach there is nothing I like more than to take in the view of the beautiful expanse of sea that lays before me. I enjoy scoping out the various cargo ships and military ships that weigh anchor out in the vastness. At night, when the lights from the ships are the only clues that there is life out there they look like ships from the 1800s. I like to imagine that we are living in such a time and believe that the ship is coming in to deliver travelers from afar off.
It is this time of year in Southern Florida that the "snow birds" come to visit. These are the travelers that come from Europe and Canada and countless other regions of the earth to escape the cold of their home and enjoy the warm sun of "Sunny Florida". I find it fascinating to hear parents from different countries and tongues speak to their children while they play on the playground. Sometimes I can figure out what language is being spoken and other times I have not idea. I just know from the way the family is dressed that it's a European language. Sometimes I see people take a seat on a nearby picnic table and just spend hours looking at the ocean. There is something mesmerising about the water much like looking at a fire crackling in it's hearth. I haven't minded the cold snap we are experiencing here but I am looking forward to the sunny days to come much like are seen in these photos from a few weeks ago.



4 comments:

Mom said...

Speaking of the "draw" of the ocean, I sure would love a rough sketch of a sight you see when you visit the beach! (And I do mean sketch, so no worrying about "perfection"!) (Remember the hours you spent drawing once upon a time?) And remember the stories and drawings you and Liv worked together on? Notebooks were filled w/ drawings and stories!

TAB said...

Oh, boy! I should do that, huh? I wish i were inspired to do so. I think in photos these days. My hands don't "itch" to draw as they used to....maybe if I started it up again my hands would know what they've been missing!

LivG said...

Nice story and imagination Tab:) Great pics as always!

4monkeys said...

That last one of your kids makes me want to draw it! You know how much I love black and white photos! Ok so I have to ask...do other people notice when you take their pics, or not? I would be scared to take someones pic I didn't know!